expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Fart Bottles

Dream 10/11/2017




I'm attending an internship in Texas called The Honor Academy. The director tells us that we have to get jobs. My friend informs me that there is an opening for an architects assistant. It's a job that everyone is going to want. The interns sit on the floor as the director speaks. He describes several jobs options that we can get, most notably, one that involves assisting in clearing mysterious wood chips that have appeared on Lakeland Avenue. Everyone wants this job.

The meeting ends. Those interested in the mysterious wood chip job, need to follow the director of that job. We walk through winding hallways with obstacles. Those who finish the obstacle course will be considered for the job. Many follow, few arrive. I stand at the end of the course with one other follower, my friend Sam. The director tells us that he will now choose. He tells me to go sit in a small open room next to the hallway. "The person that will be working with me is..." the director walks toward me and then quickly turns around, "...Sam!" What a bummer. I give Sam an unenthusiastic slow clap. Why would the director trick me like that? This is a major letdown. I feel sick in my stomach. All my life, I've never gotten the coveted prize. This is no exception.

The director walks with me. He tells me it was a hard decision but my resume was too good for the job. "What?" I interrupt, "my resume isn't good. I'm a college dropout who has mainly worked in fast food."

I walk to the lunchroom where a hundred interns are eating. I sit down at a busy table. The others ask what happened. I tell them that it came down to two of us and Sam was chosen. I walk out of the lunchroom for a second. On the way, I pass Wayne Knight carrying a pizza. I am a big fan of Seinfeld so I try to think of a line from the show to impress Wayne with. "Farkus!" I say. Wayne gives me a smile. Wait. In Seinfeld, Waynes name was Newman not Farkus. I try to think of something else to say. Ah! I will say "That is one magic loogie." He will love this line. Standing in the hallway outside of the cafeteria, I hear the voice of a boy say, "that is one magic loogie." What the heck. He stole my line.

I return to my table. Sam is now sitting here as well. Sam goes on talking about "Fart bottles." The table has become quiet. I turn to Sam and say, "what the hell are you talking about?" People look at me with disgust but Sam is the one talking about Fart bottles. I look at my wallet and find that my debit card and gift cards have been torn in two. I only have a few dollars. I will need to send for more money from my parents. Dream ends.

I wake up.

No comments :

Post a Comment