expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Friday, November 10, 2017

Start Your Engines

Dream 11/10/2017


I'm attending an internship in Texas called The Honor Academy. My mom has come to visit me. We sleep in the same bunk in a room full of bunk beds. It is early in the morning, still dark outside. On the wall is a poster. On one part of the poster it reads four Jamaicans. My mom, in the quiet room, asks what the poster means by "four Jamaicans." She then stands up and walks toward the bathroom. I stand up too but notice several other female interns walking toward the bathroom. I jump back in bed.

In the internship, we have been split into teams. Every week, someone from the team races in a NASCAR or quarter midget race. This week, one of my friends on the team is racing. At a weigh-in, the drivers cannot be over a certain weight. My friend is too heavy. It is then thought that I should drive instead. I do.

The final lap comes down to me and a girl named Katherine. I am first to cross the finish line. Cheers ring out from the stands. They hand me a trophy which looks like a wooden bowl. I run over to the stands where my team is sitting and hand them the trophy. The celebrating goes on. I ask a teammate if he thinks I am too old to try to become a professional race car driver.

My mom is sad. She also doesn't feel well. She pulls me aside and tells me that she is going to travel for a few days. No direction in mind. Just drive. I feel bad for her. A sick feeling manifests in my stomach as I watch her leave.

The internship has convened to a recreational building. I walk through the place. In one room, several people are messing around with instruments. My sister, Kristen, is here. Although my mom's leaving left me sad, I feel comforted seeing my sister. Someone asks me if I know how to play a certain song. I sit down at the drums. We mess around a bit. Dream ends.

I wake up

No comments :

Post a Comment