expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Sunday, February 11, 2018

Sad Ale

Dream 2/11/2018




My mom and I are driving down a country road. I want to show her a song that I found called "Ridin' On" by the band Little Caesar. I start to play it. My mom gets angry and tells me to turn it off. I'm baffled at her reaction. I tell her that the song is about a Los Angeles DJ named Lee who was killed in a hit and run motorcycle crash. She is adamant that the song is terrible.

We arrive at a birthday party for my cousin. When I step out of the car, I am immediately greeted by an old friend of mine, Troy, from the Honor Academy. At the HA, we were best friends. I run and hug him and give my best Cory Matthews impression, "Shawny!" I yell.

I sit in the living room with cousins, aunts, and uncles playing a party game. Don't tell anyone but I hate party games. The point of this game is to go around and tell your first name and then you must read a line on a card that has been given to you. My turn comes around, "my name is Keith..." I read the paper, "..S A D ALE..." The card is gibberish. I don't even know how to read it. The group ends up skipping my turn when I forget to finish and instead stare off into the distance.

At another area of the party, Troy and some others are playing a video game, a first-person shooter online multiplayer. The strange thing is that the game is not on the screen, but it's real life. I find myself underground with Troy. We are wearing battle gear. When I see someone come down the stairs, I pull out a bow and arrow and start releasing a barrage of arrows his way. I take him down. I run to the other entrance to the basement and see two others. I start shooting. Troy is crouched behind a wall, protecting himself as he battles on.

At the end of the round, I walk to a bathtub and clean myself. My naked body is on display to all party guests. For the most part, I am not embarrassed. When finished, I grab a basket of clothes and start to walk to my Jeep, which is parked up the street a bit. Troy follows me and tries to convince me to play another round. I tell him that I will as soon as I put the clothes in my car. He begs for me to play now. I say to him that I need to put my clothes in the Jeep. He relents.

I run to my Jeep, aware that others are watching me. It's strange, but I am more embarrassed now than I was in the bathtub. I make it to my Jeep and shove the basket inside. As I walk back toward the party, I see a friend from high school named Doug. He is standing by his blue pickup truck. A squirrel has somehow managed its way inside and is running like mad all around the vehicle. Doug is trying his best to get it out. I walk by and pretend that I don't see the situation. If I see and Doug knows that I know, he will expect me to help. I walk on by, my eyes looking to the ground.

I'm standing around an eating area with Troy and a few others from the Honor Academy. We're talking about college. One of the former interns tells Troy that he needs to quit many of his classes, including the TRI class. I force myself into the conversation to say that I did go to college for one semester and then dropped out because I hated it. Another person standing nearby says that he hated college as well. Dream ends.

I wake up

No comments :

Post a Comment