expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Friday, April 8, 2016

The Twin Towers

Dream 4/8/2016




     September 11, 2001. I'm visiting the World Trade Center, conducting business on the fifth floor. All of a sudden, I hear a loud noise and the building starts to shake. I immediately think to escape. I see a line for the elevators, I skip it and run toward the stairs. The stairwell is packed too but eventually I make it outside. When I get out, I look up. I don't see smoke at the top of the building. Did the plane go in? I ask people standing around me if they saw a plane. I try to watch for the second tower, to see if a plane causes the destruction, at the same time I am running toward a parking lot adjacent to the WTC property.

     There is a small building at the corner of the parking lot. I run to it. In it, I find many stray people and my dialysis nurse, Laura. She says that it's time for treatment. I sit down and she pokes me with two needles the size of roofing nails. I whisper to her, "you and I both know what happens, the tower is going to fall. What do I do when that happens?" She tells me that she will get me a mask..

     Once again, everything begins to shake. I know what is happening. I hear screams all around me. Laura walks over to me and places a hospital mask on my face. I throw on my hood, close my eyes, and cover my face. I know when the smoke and dust enters the building because the screams escalate. I feel the soot when it hits me. I feel myself move. I hit the wall. Later when I would open my eyes, I would find that the soot moved me about five feet across the room.

     The room is taken over by dust and soot. Everywhere. Part of the building was destroyed when the tower collapsed. Much of the roof is missing. I look out the window to see if I can see the remaining tower. A man tells me, "it's over there." I look to where he's pointing. I see it. It looks further away.

     After my dialysis treatment is finished. I get in a car and try to leave the city. The people that I'm with comment on how different the city looks without the towers. As I'm driving, building #7 collapses behind me. I see the whole thing. Dream ends.

I wake up

No comments :

Post a Comment